With the realization that a huge life milestone has hit turning the #DirtyThirty, I thought it’d be worth taking a minute to reflect on some of the things I accomplished over the last decade and set some new goals for myself. Being that I’m not your typical girly-girl, getting married and popping out babies aren’t exactly on the 5-year plan so you’ll find my ambitions to be a little less traditional.
- Got a master’s degree I didn’t know I wanted in a subject I didn’t know existed before I accidentally discovered the program (E-business, Depaul)
- Graduated college early because “I wasn’t being challenged” (huge mistake, CU-Boulder).
- Had a story published in an Amazon Best Seller.
- Quit two jobs I hated and figured out how to get paid to do what I love (Yay travel! Yay food!)
- Hiked Machu Picchu, the hardest thing I’ve ever physically done.
- Taught English overseas (Israel)
- Moved somewhere without a plan. Made it work.
- Became a Certified Viking.
- Ran the Alumni Association twice, for two different schools. Maybe I just like being called Madame President.
- Got a weekly column writing about one of my favorite topics (brunch) for a huge audience of 80,000.
- Learned to love, and let go (still working on that one).
- Went skydiving.
- Staffed high school graduation trips to Mexico while serving as the bodyguard for D-list reality stars (a certain someone from Laguna Beach whose name rhymes with Mason Lawler).
- Created a charity date auction website. Got warned by my lawyer it was borderline prostitution.
- Became a seriously adventurous eater – from bugs in Thailand to the French Laundry.
- Talked my way into getting press passes for almost every event I’ve wanted to attend (CES, Chicago Gourmet, still working on the Aspen Food and Wine Classic).
- Tried snowboarding, failed miserably. Skied decently.
- Got paid to model.
- Celebrated my first Christmas.
- Made it halfway through my goal of visiting all 50 states and 50 countries before 50.
- Get that scuba certificate – One of my biggest failures to date. Why can’t I flood the mask and pass the classroom part?!
Join the fourteener club (I do live in Colorado, after all)– Quandary 8/15
- Get comfortable skiing black diamonds (the landfills of Wisco don’t really count, unfortunately). – Not comfortable, but I was dragged up to Tucker Mountain via Toe Rope
- Travel to a “scary” place, one of those countries everyone thinks you’re crazy for wanting to go to (like North Korea, Iran, one of the ‘Stans).
- Find a volunteer project in Denver (KOKO, I miss you). – Dress for Success looks promising
- Learn to climb mountains, not just hike them.
- Get better at golfing.
- Do a 5K.
- Enjoy cooking.
- Dye my hair blonde or hombre at least for a minute.
- Win Fantasy Football.
- Adopt Oliver James, my future Pomsky.
- Learn to forgive (that’s a toughie).
Buy a house or become a nomad (one of the two).The girl with itchy feet bought a condo 5/15!
- Start a garden in said house. (Unfortunately this is not really possible with a condo… but maybe keep a plant or two alive)
- Go to SXSW and/or Burning Man.
- Visit Portland and Austin, help keep both weird.
- Be open to love again.
- Travel more long term (at least a month consecutively).
- Finally get to Australia and
New Zealand (black water rafting)!Won a free flight to NZ, went 2/16. Weird being that far away and feeling so not foregin.
- Instead of being a jack of all trades, master something.
- Become a travel “influencer.”
- Talk to my family more (sorry I’m so bad at keeping in touch).
- Eat at Alinea.
- Get published in a major publication like the NYT, Travel & Leisure or
something similarmy content is being syndicated in HuffPo! NYT…I’m coming for ya.
- Continue learning about UX (yes, I am a dork).
- Re-learn Sign Language and Spanish.
- Get back to my pre-college weight.
- Have someone recognize me.
- Actually keep up with this blog 🙂